I’ve been playing a lot more multi-player games lately and using the share play feature on Playstation 4 and unfortunately, my old headset wasn’t cutting it. I’m not talking about the crappy headset that came with the console. We need to talk about that first…
Who honestly thinks the earbuds that come with Apple products are comfortable? I almost never like the headphones that come with any device. They are always those round, hard plastic ear buds that keep falling out because they don’t fit the shape of your ear. Why are people still making these?
So back in the days when I was super excited about getting Destiny and playing it online with people, I bought a reasonably priced Turtle Beach headset. It was maybe around $30 and looked like it would work properly. I enjoyed all of the Turtle Beach headsets we purchased over the years for Xbox, so why would the PS4 one be any different?
It was different. It is ill fitting, it only has sound on one ear, it constantly breaks up so people can’t hear me and vice versa. It is the worst headset I’ve ever used. Also, the sound does not go up high enough so if you have the noise from the game set too loud, you don’t hear anything your teammate is saying.
Finally, I get around to buying another new headset. This time I listened to a gaming buddy, @Yemanator, and I purchased a first party peripheral. It was a great deal at under $30 on Amazon! Of course, because I refuse to follow the directions to anything ever, I couldn’t get it to work at first. For those of you that are averse to reading directions like me, you have to snap the microphone into place or else it’s on mute. It took me 4 days to figure that out!
This headset sounds better, it’s more comfortable, it breaks up less on both ends of the conversation, the sound can be increased in case you’re in a noisy room or if the person on the other end is too quiet. It’s a pretty good headset for the price!
If you need a cheap headset that doesn’t totally suck, this is probably the way to go. Here are the specs:
- 7.1 virtual surround sound
- Retractable boom mic
- Headset Companion App,
- Download custom modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games.
- Comfortably Durable: Breathable on-ear cushions pair with lightweight, sturdy design to enable hours of gaming in comfort.
- Multi-device Compatibility: Connect to your PS4, PS3, and home computer via USB for full 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound or detach the 3.5mm audio cable from the in-line volume and mic controls to connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device.
The only real downsides I see to this headset versus the more expensive PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset are:
- It is wired, so you have a messy cord connecting to your PS4.
- It does break up a bit if you move around too much while gaming.
- It’s not noise cancelling.